Thursday 5 April 2012

Death Note - Seriously SO Over Hyped it's Not Funny

Okay so you're pobably thinking I'm just against popular anime. And to be honest it's not that. I mean yeah, I stayed away from Death Note for years because every noob and their noob Totoro backpack was into it. But rather than ranting about how much I didn't want to watch it, I sucked it up and borrowed it off a friend.

Picture taken from Knowyourmeme
The first season reminded me of Code Geass: Lelouche of the Rebellion. There were unforeseeable twists and episode endings that just made you believe the writers might be gods. But then...something happened. The twists were replaced with...well nothing. L and Light team up to fight...Light. Misa follows light around like a homeless pet and the police are kept in the dark until 5 min before the end of the second season.  The most interesting thing to happen in season 2 was a certain person's father dying after he had halved his life span.

The thing that got me the most was that Light stood for nothing. He had a child's mentality when it came to justice and punished as he saw fit. Did you know in Sparta they had a system to ensure that this wouldn't happen. The king didn't solely rule. He was held accountable by a group of people that had been voted in by their peers. And even then they had to answer to the views of the public. Our justice system is built in much the same way. So for the hero of an anime to be all "wah, he is a bad man he deserves to die!" is just stupid.

And what was this guys problem! He was the second most useless character of them all after numero uno useless member Misa:

Picture taken from Demotivational Posters

Have you seen episode 00 of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya? Kyon sarcastically narrates this movie Haruhi puts together. It is full of a million plot holes and frequently changes genre as the movie progresses. Watching Death Note was pretty much like that. It went from an psychological thriller to..I'm going to say drama? Once Misa was introduced the show really just started to deteriorate like a balloon with a hole. And before you ask yes, I did finish it. I watched every second. The fact that by the end I didn't care if Light lived or died was a clear indicator that this anime just wasn't for me.

Now I'm not saying it didn't have it's good moments. Here is one of the best scenes:


That really should tell you everything you need to know.

Now before everyone jumps down my throat really think. Why do you like this anime? Is it because it was one of the first animes you watched? My first anime was Cardcaptors and, to be rather frank, re-watching it now is like swallowing razor blades. But that's fine because in my memories it's the best thing since wireless internet.

Might I suggest something? Go watch Code Geass and tell me it's not a better version of Death Note. I dare you. I double dog dare you.

Oh and BTW:

Picture taken from otakumotivationalposters
Let us know what you think about this post in the comments section below or connect with us on the Amine Sydney Facebook or Twitter!