Saturday 4 January 2014

Anime Review: Watamote

Genre: Comedy, School, Slice of Life 
Episodes: 12 
Overall Thoughts: Hard hitting if you can relate to the main character
Image via My Anime List

I jumped onto watching Watamote just after its finale had aired so I could, as usual, avoid waiting to watch week by week (I’m impatient, bite me). I wasn’t exactly sure what I was getting into, but had heard some good things. The series definitely lived up to what I had been told and was quite good overall, and yet I still did not enjoy watching it by the end. 

Watamote (No Matter How I Look At It, It’s You Guys’ Fault I’m Not Popular), is, as the anime itself states, about an unpopular girl named Tomoko, and her story that doesn’t really matter. Tomoko is an exceptionally depressing main character, right in the beginning of the series, she is completely unable to respond to a simple “goodbye” because it’s been so long since she interacted with another person outside of home.

Image via Otaku Journalist

Watamote is a decent comedy, depending on how you look at it, and personally, I found it difficult to laugh at a lot of the jokes, because the leaned me more towards feeling for the character a lot of cases out of personal experience. I can definitely appreciate what made the series funny, but it so frequently felt wrong to laugh at Tomoko’s difficulties. 

Tomoko as a character in this story was most certainly interesting, and in a sense inspirational in her continued striving to the best of her stunted social abilities to attempt to become a popular high school girl. Though, if you start up Watamote expecting a heart-warming tale of Tomoko’s rise out of the socially awkward pit of despair that she governs and up into stardom, you will be sorely disappointed. Any and all of Tomoko’s progresses are small. It makes things feel real, but whether that’s your thing could go either way. 

I came out of this series not exactly knowing what to think about it, and very shortly after needed a good Gurren Lagann marathon to lift my spirits again.

Image via Cloud Front
Image via Thoughts on Anime

Image via Anime Diet

Image via Ctrl+Geek Girl